Public Health Beyond Borders (PHBB) consists of a globally minded group of students and faculty from University of Maryland aiming to address health needs in partnering communities. The overall mission of the organization is to reduce health disparities around the world, increase awareness about good health practices, and expose undergraduate and graduate students to opportunities for responsible global development work through faculty-mentored international trips. We currently have three international partner communities in Peru, Sierra Leone, and India as well as a local project in Langley Park, Maryland.
PHBB members have also sought to engage the UMD campus community through fundraisers and discussions of global health concerns by co-sponsoring screenings of documentaries.
Yoske Mitsui was assigned to create the visual identity program and develop brand identity specifications including the appropriate colors, typography for both print and digital media, stationery and merchandise.
The green and blue reflect their “think global, act global” mindset. The red, yellow and black reflect University of Maryland origins and their founding chapter. The circle in the middle of the colours represents unity and their global mindset while emphasizing the importance of partnerships and relationships to their organization. The wordmark is also visually matched up with University of Maryland’s primary Serif typeface Bembo and primary sans-serif typeface Univers. I have developed lockup with their partners or sponsorship for their future use.
The previous logo was very complicated and was not related their organization’s concept and it needed to include something relate to the University of Maryland identity.
My mainly approach to the visual identity program are
– Appropriate for an international public health organisation (credible, global, clean and safe)
– Scalable, flexible and modular (includes a symbol that can be detached and can come to represent the brand with consistent use over time)
– Enables lockups with sponsorships and other partners
– Timeless, distinctive and simple
- Agency/Creative: Yoske Mitsui
- Article Title: Yoske Mitsui Develops Visual Identity Program, Stationery and Guidelines for Public Health Beyond Borders
- Organisation/Entity: Freelance, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Identity
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Branding, Rebranding
- Industry: Education
- Keywords: Visual Identity Program, Logo, Branding, Art Direction, Brand Guidelines, Stationery, Merchandise,