Iconic brand Homepride, part of the Kerry Foods portfolio, has been a favourite in British shopping baskets since 1964. Fred the Flour Grader, in his bowler hat, is one of the most recognisable brand icons.
With the increased interest in home baking, Kerry Foods wanted their packs to appeal to a contemporary audience.
Wowme were asked to look at how an update could help the brand take advantage of the growth within the sector. Using Brandscape, the Wowme insight toolkit, it was established that both the brand and Fred remained close to everyone’s heart, and the brand was trusted to deliver quality but had become a little lost amongst the competition.
As a result of the insight, Wowme created a new Big Fred, after all, he deserved the attention. The new pack design appealed on a nostalgic level but with a contemporary feel. The introduction of bespoke illustrations helped as Kerry wanted to expand their range to include a premium milled ‘00’ Extra Fine and Superior Sponge flour variants.
Andy White, Creative Director of Wowme remarked, “We retained the ‘familiar’ brand cues but dialled-up the important information. Fred is a very recognizable hero character and therefore we needed to ensure he played a big role on-the-pack” …He added, “The recipe illustrations we created and considered on-pack language gave the new packs something unique that’s not seen on any other flour brand. Working with such an iconic brand has its challenges but is great fun and extremely rewarding.”
The new packs are available supermarkets now.
- Agency/Creative: Wowme Design
- Article Title: Wowme Delivers a Design Make-Over for Homepride’s Fred Packaging
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Multiple Regions
- Project Deliverables: Brand Redesign, Brand Refinement, Brand Rejuvenation, Brand Strategy, Graphic Design, Illustration, Packaging Design, Research, Retail Brand Design, Tone of Voice
- Format: Box
- Substrate: Pulp Board, Pulp Carton, Pulp Paper