For over 70 years, the Cameron family has grown premium grapes and sold the fruits of their labour onto the larger neighbouring wineries in McLaren Vale. More recently, the Camerons have allocated small-batches to create their own product – Railroad Vineyards. The family property backs onto an old train line that once saw locomotives puffing through their McLaren Vale vines. If you’re visiting the property these days, you’ll have to imagine the frequent steam and whistles – the line was decommissioned in 1969 and now enjoyed as a walking trail and bike track.
The branding and labels are inspired by eye-catching vintage train tickets – an ode to the yesteryear. Built with the intention to evoke an old-world sense of craftsmanship that transports you to a time and place. Executed in a bold and minimalist style, each varietal released benefits from their own alerting colours, relative to cautious railroad symbology. In turn, the product demands a strong brand presence amongst the wine market.
The labels are printed on a textured uncoated stock via a digital press, due to the small-batches. For a contemporary finish, the label’s cutter features multiple ‘notches’ to quickly resemble validated tickets. Here’s your ticket to McLaren Vale. Enjoy the ride!
- Agency/Creative: David Byerlee Design
- Article Title: David Byerlee Design – Railroad Vineyards
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: Australia
- Market Region: Multiple Regions
- Project Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Brand Creation, Brand Identity, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Branding, Graphic Design, Identity System, Packaging Design, Product Naming, Retail Brand Design, Tone of Voice
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Pulp Paper