Wine Label Design for a Winery from the Birth Place of the Ancient Greek Hero Theseus
Loonatiks Design Crew – Theta Wine – Andreou Winery
“Andreou Winery is a Trizina – Poros designated winery, the birth place of the ancient Greek hero Theseus. They asked us to design and name their first premium wine series. The main theme of the wine had to be Theseus and his Six Labours as one can see on their logo which was also designed by us in the first place in order to praise the local history. If you read the myth of Theseus labours you can clearly see violence and death having a leading role in the story. Theseus and Death had something more in common in Greek, the Greek letter Theta.
Theseus (/ˈθiːsjuːs/) Θησέας
Death (thanatos – /ˈθænətɒs/;) Θάνατος
Theta (ˈθiːtə/) is the eighth letter of the Greek alphabet. Theta was considered also the symbol of death. In classical Athens, it was used as an abbreviation for the Greek θάνατος (thanatos, “death”) and as it vaguely resembles a human skull, theta was used as a warning symbol of death, in the same way that skull and crossbones are used in modern times.
This high contrast between the glorious story of an upcoming king and the dark side of his labours inspired us in order to place a bright white label on top of a black mat painted bottle.
Clear typography that communicates only whats necessary about the product and the letter Θ Theta peeking behind it in three different colours in combination with the corresponding wax seals colours on top.”
- Design Agency: Loonatiks Design Crew
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency Commercial, Published
- Article Title: Wine Label Design for a Winery from the Birth Place of the Ancient Greek Hero Theseus
- Brand / Project Name: Theta Wine - Andreou Winery
- Project Type: Consumer Brand Creation, Corporate Brand Creation
- Strategic Deliverables: Consumer Brand Strategy, Consumer Brand Naming, Corporate Brand Strategy, Corporate Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Consumer Branding, Consumer Graphic Packaging Design
- Location: Greece
- Market Country: Greece
- Market Region: Europe
- Product Category: Wine
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass