Heineken Group approached WhyBD, a Singaporean based independent brand and design agency, with the challenge to reposition Bawdar beer and revamp its visual identity to be perceived as the young and light-hearted mainstream beer brand for the Myanmar modern and progressive generation. Bawdar, meaning ‘buddy’ in Burmese, is a local mainstream segment, smooth and refreshing lager brewed with rice from the fields of Myanmar. The culmination of extensive research on Myanmar’s local taste profiles together with centuries of Heineken’s beer brewing knowledge, Bawdar Beer offers a familiar, yet smooth and refreshing taste for everyone and capitalises on local heritage. However today Bawdar has a strong stout taste perception, it appears heavy and traditional.
As part of the restage we sought to capture the meaningful friendships of the Burmese people, especially the up-and-coming generation. Launched in June 2021 the new vibrant and remarkable brand visual identity speaks to the togetherness spirit of the brand as well as Burmese youth, and to the credentials of a product from The Heineken Company group. The packaging design consistently and successfully leverages the new identity across packaging formats ensuring consistency and creating a strong visual memory structure on and off trade. We brought the iconic visual identity to life on-trade and amplified it off trade with a full kit play book, maximizing permanent visibility. The new pack delivers on the true profile of Bawdar, a smooth and refreshing larger.
- Agency/Creative: Why? Brand Design Pte Ltd
- Article Title: Why? Brand Design Agency Help Heineken Group Relaunch of Bawdar Larger Beer for Myanmar Market
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Singapore
- Agency/Creative City: Singapore
- Market Region: Asia
- Project Deliverables: 2D Design, Art Direction, Brand Design, Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Brand Mark, Brand Redesign, Brand Rejuvenation, Brand Strategy, Branding, Creative Direction, Design, Graphic Design, Packaging Design, Visualisation
- Format: Bottle, Can
- Substrate: Glass Bottle, Metal
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: Heineken Group. Bawdar. Lager. Beer. Packaging. Packaging Design. Visual Identity. Brand Rejuvenation. Brand Reposition.
Design Director: Michel Wong