Visual Identity for Barcelona-based Unsolicited Studio
Unsolicited is an independent creative practice based in Barcelona, founded in 2020 by graphic designer and architect Gabriela Hernández.
The visual identity is a contemporary interpretation of the mid-century interiors and graphic design. It aims to set the studio’s aesthetic intention apart from current design trends with a mature, dark, moody, mid-century style, that gravitates towards Swiss design with a touch of nostalgia.
It was first thought and crafted in the founder’s own living room, which architecture and interior design were an inspiration for the new studio’s aesthetic. Surrounded by the iconic String shelf designed in 1949, an original 60’s coffee table with Italian marble, a red-thick carpet, and the legendary Snoopy lamp (1967) by Achille & Pier Giacomo Castiglioni, the furniture and the identity blend into a single style.
The identity reflects the designer’s systematic approach and her architectural background, stripped from any unnecessary frills. It has a high contrast between an always-present oversize logo and the rest of the technical information. Tight margins, a strict grid, and a bold red that set a classic corporate mood.
The business cards were printed on Colorplan papers Mist and Vermillion of 350 gsm, and blind-embossed with the Unsolicited logo: just the word in all caps, with an upside-down L repurposed for the first letter I, creating visual balance and representing the studio’s Instagram username, Unsolicited.
The letterhead set plays with the studio’s name with a header that explicitly says “Unsolicited Estimation”, “Unsolicited Quote”, “Unsolicited Invoice”, and other variants, setting a slightly humorous tone of voice for the brand.
The logo and header titles are set on Editorial New and all the other texts on Object Sans, both by the foundry Pangram Pangram.
The images were shot by Eduardo Forte, a Barcelona-based photographer. The art direction, design, and strategy are from Gabriela Hernández, the founder of the studio.
- Design Agency: UNSOLICITED
- Organisation/Project Type: Freelance, Published Self Promotional Design
- Article Title: Visual Identity for Barcelona-based Unsolicited Studio
- Brand / Project Name: Unsolicited Studio Visual Identity
- External Design Credits: Strategy, design and art direction by Gabriela Hernández. Photography by Edu Forte
- Production Credits: Business cards printed on Colorplan papers by Letter Cotton in Barcelona.
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Brand Identity, Identity System, Branding, Brand Creation
- Service Brand Application: Brand Guidelines, Print Promotion, Print Stationery, Website
- Location: Spain
- Market Country: Spain
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Keywords: Design Studio, Studio Identity, Visual Identity, Colorplan Papers, Mid Century, Business Cards, Corporate, Invoice, Stationery
- Industry Category: Information