Utilising Waste Materials to Create a Sustainable Packaging Design
SGK Anthem, Vrijdag Premium Printing, Generous Minds, Neurensics, Kurz and Merck have joined forces under the name ‘Packadore Collective’ to design and implement both desirable and sustainable packaging solutions. Their LOCOletter packaging innovation utilises waste materials to create a desirable and sustainable packaging design for premium chocolate.
Chocolate letters are a form of candy associated with the Dutch holiday of Sinterklaas (Saint Nicholas). Celebrants of Sinterklaas are traditionally given their initials made out of chocolate annually on December 5th. Despite the heart-warming nature of the tradition, each year more than 1 million chocolate letters, including the packaging, are destroyed as left over waste products.
LOCOletter helps reduce such waste by offering the same premium chocolate concept but rethinking the design to reduce waste. Typically, chocolate letters require 26 individual sku’s to match the 26 letters of the alphabet using fixed molds. LOCOletter uses just one sku made of 30 small blocks of both light and dark chocolate — the colour contrast of each block and puzzle nature of the design provides consumers with the ability to create any letter they like.
Taking this one step further and because such an eco-friendly product deserves a sustainable packaging solution, LOCOletter have created a new packaging design concept.
The packaging design uses paperboard made from combining the shells of the Cacao fruit with FSC fibers. The premium transfer finishing with metallic mirror effect will be made from recycled materials. Using a combination of what are inherently waste materials helps elevate LOCOletter into both a desirable and sustainable brand.
About Packadore Collective: Packadore Collective work collaboratively to design and implement both desirable and sustainable packaging solutions to help brands create real impact, now and for the future.
- Design Agency: Packadore Collective
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Utilising Waste Materials to Create a Sustainable Packaging Design
- Brand / Project Name: LOCOletter
- Strategic Deliverables: Research / Insight, Brand Strategy, Sustainable Packaging
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design
- Location: Netherlands
- Market Country: Multiple Countries
- Market Region: Global
- Product Category: Confectionery
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Pulp Fibre, Paperboard made from combining the shells of the Cacao fruit with FSC fibers.