56 Brewing is a brewery located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. With a wide range of offerings, and local following for IPAs and Sours, the brewery aims to be “crafting community, one beer at a time.” Starting as a small garage brewery in 2014, 56 grown into a larger operation, complete with a welcoming neighborhood taproom environment and a 3-state distribution footprint.
Unfiltered Fruity Object, also endearingly referred to as UFO, is an intergalactic hazy double IPA. Clocking in at 9% Alcohol by volume, this limited release beer is brewed with Galaxy and Citra hops to achieve an intensely tropical and fruity flavor profile. It was originally brewed in 2017, and has made a return yearly since then. UFO usually is released in the late fall and is a well sought out offering from the brewery, both in the taproom and in retail locations.
Now updated for its 2022 release, the packaging is designed to be memorable and prominent on shelf. A bold custom typographic treatment of UFO acts as a logotype for the beer. It is designed to be sleek and mysterious to coincide with the darkest season of the year. It utilizes 16 ounce black cans is labeled with metallic BOPP label material to achieve metallic cues throughout. These premium cues elevate the presentation of the beer on shelf and help justify its price point.
- Agency/Creative: Matt Erickson
- Article Title: UFO: Unfiltered Fruity Object Packaging Design
- Organisation/Entity: Freelance
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: Minneapolis
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Copywriting, Illustration, Label Design, Packaging Design, Product Naming, Typography
- Format: Can
- Substrate: Metal, Plastic
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: UFO, Alien, Double IPA, Beer, Craft Beer, IPA, Hazy IPA, Space, Can, Label, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Creative Director / Designer: Matt Erickson
Photographer: Collin Clyne
Photographer: Zach Beckman