Tone Def gathers the collective creative force of makers from all over the world to manufacture one-off, bespoke, and high-end audio casegoods.
Tone Def is the latest endeavour of Procuratorial (@procuratorialofficial), a specifier & Buyer of Furniture Lighting and Art, and one of the six studios in the McKinley Studios (@mckinleystudios) creative collective. They are inspired by the various talents of artists and creators around the globe, pairing their craft with the world’s finest audio equipment to make statement turntables that are one of a kind. Prototypes of each piece is built in house with one of Procuratorial’s fabricators. The pieces are functional high-art selected by select clientele who share the love for craftsmanship and audiophilia.
Matter developed the brand identity to visually represent the unapologetic ethos of Tone Def. The logo was drawn against a Wim Crouwel-inspired grid, which moves elegantly to fill any space it occupies—much like the audio presence of the casegoods. A monogram, inspired by the center of a record and the lower case ‘d’ in ‘Def’ spun around in a complete circle. Both the logo and monogram allow for movement and give the brand an exciting sense of life. The brand marks are paired with cinematic imagery which is then juxtaposed with distortion, bringing in a bold and edgy aesthetic. A bold yet monochromatic colour palette of stark white and deep black, allow the for the pieces created in the Tone Def collection to be the focal point. The brand voice has a unique attitude, inspired by the intersection where punk meets luxury. This is not a humble brand; it is not for the faint hearted or timid-minded. Tone Def is for the discordant, the rebels, pulling inspiration from high fashion & rock’n’roll.
- Agency/Creative: Matter Studio
- Article Title: Tone Def Brand Identity
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Non Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Canada
- Agency/Creative City: Calgary
- Market Region: North America, Global
- Project Deliverables: Brand Creation, Brand Identity, Design, Graphic Design, Identity System, Logo Design, Tone of Voice, Type Design, Typography, Writing
- Industry: Entertainment
- Keywords: turntables, bespoke, casegoods, audiophile, luxury, collaboration, fabrication
Design Director: Monique Gamache
Designer: Rees Morgan
Account Director: Michala Sullivan