This project is an unlikely innovation at the intersection of technology, design and… you guessed it: eggs. The egg category has done a consistent job with not innovating, and just being rather expected and ordinary. Happy Egg (US) is a unique product that delights consumers every time they crack their eggs open. Happy Eggs have vibrant amber yolks, and some of its eggs are actually blue on the outside. We had to do something to the egg cartons that would be anything but ordinary.
However, the problem was that Happy Egg redesigned their package during the pandemic. A risky move for any CPG brand, at any time of the year. So in order to make sure consumers take notice of the new design, we decided to bake in some incentives, right on the carton. Research showed us that consumers have become more comfortable using QR codes, and other mobile touch-less forms of shopping, ordering, couponing and of course gaming. So we decided to use the egg carton as a gateway to transform our post-pandemic kitchens into: Happy Island.
Happy Egg, The Martin Agency, Zappar and Australian street artist Brolga teamed up to create the first gamified AR egg carton. And for those who choose to wander into the fantastical Happy Island world, they can reward their curiosity with real life surprises ($50k of goodies) hidden in the gameplay, including AR stickers to play with your food, bikes, shirts, Baggu Bags, Smeg appliances, gift cards for kitchen renovations, premium Onyx coffee and of course, a year’s supply of Happy Eggs.
- Agency/Creative: The Martin Agency
- Article Title: The Martin Agency, Zappar and Street Artist Brolga Teamed up to Create the First Gamified AR Egg Carton
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: Richmond
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Animation, Augmented Reality, Brand Experience, Design, Game Design, Illustration, Packaging Design
- Format: Box
- Substrate: Pulp Moulded
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: Eggs, AR, Package design, Game Design
Copywriter: Hope Thomas
Art Director: Sydney Aloe
Creative Director: Adam Stockton