Colorado’s first legal distillery since prohibition, Stranahan’s Whiskey has been crafting the No. 1 American Single Malt Whiskey in their downtown Denver distillery since 2004. The Made Shop had long been admirers of the whiskey before we were asked to join the team and reimagine the brand. Over the span of 7 years we transformed every piece of the visual identity, packaging, merchandise, and marketing. Along the journey, we helped redesign the distillery tour and tastings, created an elaborate coffee table book, and oversaw the design and release of two new whiskeys: Diamond Peak and Snowflake.
We redesigned the Stranahan’s logo, leaning into the rugged yet eccentric ethos of the Colorado Whiskey brand. The yellow “sash” label was already iconic, so we embraced the distinctive color as integral to our brand redesign. As their business grew, they added new, small batches to the roster. We designed distinct labels for each addition: an exquisite black label for the Diamond Peak, and a striking silver sash for the coveted Snowflake. Every label is unique: handwritten and lovingly applied by eager volunteers during bottling parties.
To enhance that sense of community, we set about transforming the distillery from a utilitarian factory into a new destination for tours and tastings. We designed all new signage and wayfinding, and we overhauled the meager tasting room into a full-fledged lounge fit for a mountain retreat.
With a rush of new interest, we expanded our creative direction and design to all parts of the experience—merchandise, apparel, events and outreach. To celebrate the 10th anniversary, we created a collectible coffee table book. Bound in leather with the trademark yellow sash for a bookmark, it came stowed in a wooden case modeled after an aging barrel. After years of growing a cult following, they had quite a story to tell. And we’ve had a blast helping in the telling.
- Agency/Creative: The Made Shop
- Article Title: The Made Shop Redesigns Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Advertising, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Experience, Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Brand Redesign, Brand Rejuvenation, Branding, Graphic Design, Identity System, Illustration, Packaging Design, Rebranding, Retail Brand Design, Tone of Voice
- Format: Bottle, Case, Tag
- Substrate: Glass Bottle