The Made Shop Designs Branding for a Restored 1930’s Luxury Hotel
Completed in 1930, The Plaza Hotel Pioneer Park was a beacon of luxury in what was then a dusty West Texas town. By the turn of the 21st century it had fallen into near disrepair when an ambitious new owner set out to return the hotel to its former glory.
We designed a new logo and visual identity celebrating the iconic architecture of the building itself. Our logo uses a custom typeface we created from the neon channel letters of the rooftop sign—a staple of the El Paso skyline. We created a graphic icon of the tower to go with it. From the building’s deco details we built a series of borders and seals.
To the restrained elegance of the main mark, we added some potent doses of high desert surrealism. The room keys, in-room menus, and assorted surprises feature a cast of regal cactus-head portraits. A curious “bookmark” in each guest room reveals a secret menu when read through the decoder left on the dresser.
After years of painstaking renovation, The Plaza opened in Spring 2020. A giant achievement for all involved, it’s one or our proudest—and most challenging—undertakings to date.
- Design Agency: The Made Shop
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: The Made Shop Designs Branding for a Restored 1930’s Luxury Hotel
- Brand / Project Name: Plaza Pioneer Park Full Branding Package
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Naming, Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Illustration, Brand Identity, Identity System, Branding, Brand Creation, Graphic Design, Brand Guidelines, Brand Experience, Retail Brand Design
- Service Brand Application: Brand Guidelines, Merchandising, Print Stationery, Retail Design, Signage, Social Media, Website
- Location: United States
- Market Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Project Keywords: Luxury, Hotel, Historic, Landmark, Revival, Art Deco, El Paso, Hospitality, Logo
- Industry Category: Hospitality