Brand identity and package refresh for ‘The Hedonist’ wines in McLaren Vale, South Australia; A family-owned winery with strong biodynamic, organic, vegan friendly and sustainable practices and winemaking methods. The award-winning winemaking team consists of Walter Clappis, a veteran winemaker of 36 vintages, daughter, Kimberly and her partner James Cooter.
Hedonist – noun; a person who believes that the pursuit of pleasure is the most important thing in life; a pleasure seeker. In broad terms, a hedonist is someone who tries to maximise pleasure and minimise pain. The Hedonist wine brand embodies the relaxed Australian ethos of a glass-in-hand; to indulge and to live happily and blissfully.
The Hedonist approached Byerlee Design with the aim to invigorate and strengthen their long-standing brand. A softened and considered approach was born to set a new standard moving forward. The winery’s environmentally friendly practices are swiftly communicated on the packaging via a new tone-of-voice and visual cues; key messages, brand story, tactile finishes and an earthy colour palette. The brand’s existing and adored pig icon was retained in a consistent stance for recognisability but reimagined in a more lively illustration, created by the talented Tatiana Trikoz.
The refresh saw The Hedonist transition into the modern wine market with a clear, confident voice and stronger shelf-presence, whilst retaining their brand recognisability and a loyal customer base from across the globe.
- Agency/Creative: Byerlee Design
- Article Title: The Hedonist Wines Brand Refresh by Byerlee Design
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Australia
- Agency/Creative City: Adelaide
- Market Region: Global
- Project Deliverables: Brand Design, Branding, Graphic Design, Illustration, Label Design, Logo Design, Packaging Design, Tone of Voice
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass, Pulp Paper
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: wine label, branding, illustration, the hedonist, david byerlee, McLaren vale, south australia, graphic design, packaging, shiraz
Illustrator: Tatiana Trikoz