Studio Kempen Creates Cheeky Craft Champagne “The Black Widow”
For the launch of this range of Blanc de Noirs Champagnes, we wanted to step away from the regular cliches of traditional french Champagne labels, while still maintaining premium cues that would still ensure a quality perception and justify the price-point.
As this is a Blanc de Noirs (i.e. from black-skinned grapes) produced by craft champagne company, Other Widows, we settled on the name “The Black Widow”. Paired with cheeky and playful illustrations by Max Baitinger, we brought the unsung Champagne widows to life in a range that stands out amongst competitors and appeals to a younger, more daring audience. High-quality embossings, varnishing and rough, matt stock are used to ensure that this playfulness is balanced with quality and premium cues.
Background: ‘Veuve’ is french for ‘Widow’ – Other Widows is a startup craft champagne business that looks past the big established houses (Veuve Pommery, Veuve Cliquot etc) to the small, family-owned producers – the ‘Other’ Widows.
- Agency/Creative: Studio Kempen
- Article Title: Studio Kempen Creates Cheeky Craft Champagne “The Black Widow”
- Organisation/Entity: Freelance, Non Published Concept Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: Netherlands
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Brand Creation, Graphic Design, Illustration, Packaging Design, Product Naming
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass Bottle