Ethiopian Comfort Food
Shirowhat is an Ethiopian and woman-owned business that believes food is about new experiences and spreading joy and love. The founder, a nurse, who immigrated to the U.S. when she was 18, aims to share her Ethiopian spirit of generosity and a taste of her home to the masses.
Design Womb partnered with the brand to deliver stand-out branding with memorable packaging design that celebrates the female face of the brand and her Ethiopian roots.
We delivered a bold brand identity system using the face of the founder, and inspired by her friendly smile and warm nature that she is known for. The illustrations and chunky modern typography paired with a playful pattern creates fun shelf blocking effects in stores. The color palette is warm and saturated, inspired by the rich color of the sauce and unique berbere spice blend.
We developed a brand voice kit that is welcoming and urges consumers to eat outside of their comfort zone.
As a brand, Shirowhat never loses sight of what drives them, sharing food and experiences that are personal to the team with a wider audience, and celebrating how much love and care goes into what they do. They believe food is more than just about feeding ourselves, it’s about love and joy, sharing new flavors and old favorites with people you care about while laughing and sharing stories. By being reassuring, encouraging, and helping educate their customers about Ethiopian cuisine, the company delivers an approachable food packaging design that makes trying something out of your comfort zone feel a little less intimidating.
- Agency/Creative: Design Womb
- Article Title: Shirowhat Ethiopian Dip Branding and Food Packaging Design
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: San Francisco
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Creation, Brand Identity, Brand Strategy, Brand Tone of Voice, Copywriting, Food Photography, Food Styling, Logo Design, Packaging Design
- Format: Cup
- Substrate: Plastic
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: Ethiopian, Food Packaging Design, Dip, CPG, Consumer Packaged Goods, Design Womb, Creative Agency, Women-owned, Black-owned, Ethiopia, Start-Up
Creative Director: Nicole LaFave
Creative Director: Josh Blaylock
Art Director & Designer: Hannah Slagle
Brand Strategy, Brand Voice & Copywriting: Zach Golden