The British aren’t just fond of their tea, they quite like birds as well. A quiet moment in their favourite spot, enjoying different birds visiting their beloved in the gardens. This idea formed the basis for the concept of the illustrations and the packaging for this fictional tea brand.
So what started out as a set of experimental illustrations of birds based on geometrical shapes and a limited colour pallet evolved into a set of packaging designs for tea. Next to those I’ve also designed the little labels that goes on the actual teabags and a give-away; a basic bird feeder; that doubles as a giftbox for the packaging similar to the ones that are used for wine bottles. A simple advert and poster complete the set.
The limited colour pallet and general look and feel help the packaging stand out from the competition. The insightful give-away gives the packaging just that little extra to help it fly off the shelves. Even though it’s not very lightly people will actually use the packaging as a bird feeder/birdhouse in their gardes it makes the package just that little bit more exiting.
Different flavours can be added to the series as long as more native birds can be depicted. Based on this first set of three we should be able to add at least a dozen more before we will run in to an issue and need te derive to more obscure/lesser known species. The fact that this design can be executed using basic materials and proven constructions with minimal adjustments ensures an effective and relatively cheap solution to help this classic product stand out.
- Agency/Creative: 3rd Floor
- Article Title: Sainsbury’s Tea Packaging Design Concept by 3rd Floor
- Organisation/Entity: Freelance
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Non Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Netherlands
- Agency/Creative City: Breda
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: 2D Design, Advertising, Art, Art Direction, Creative Direction, Illustration, Packaging Design
- Format: Bag, Box
- Substrate: Pulp Paper, Wood
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: Tea, packaging, birds, minimal, geometric, series
concept, graphic design & illustration: Bart de Keyzer