Punch & Judy, the cult children’s toothpaste brand, has relaunched with an identity and packaging redesign retelling the classic Punch & Judy story to appeal to modern audiences.
Free The Birds, the design agency commissioned to produce the redesign, without a creative pitch, has created a 21st century version of the seaside puppet show with an engaging and entertaining cast of characters.
The rebrand initiated by Watford-based Strides Global Consumer Healthcare is the first change since it acquired Punch & Judy toothpaste brand in 2016; and coincides with the brand’s debut into Amazon Store in the UK from 22 June, 2020.
The new design introduces modern dad Punch who is funny, warm and prone to the occasional mishap; mum Judy who is busy, active and loves her yoga classes and the baby, who is a fearless rebel and full of character. The crocodile, who loves to show off his gleaming smile, gets a more prominent role in the updated story.
Free The Birds worked with the acclaimed children’s book illustrator Natalie Kilany on all of the illustrations. The relaunch also includes a complete overhaul of the Punch & Judy logo, on-pack images including the tube featuring reimagined characters; and supporting design for Amazon Store launch and all e-commerce channels.
Punch & Judy toothpaste is already well-loved as it appeals to both children and parents. The brand comes in sugar-free: Simply Strawberry for 0-2 years old, and for 3 years and over – Hint of Mint and Fun Bubble Gum (formerly Tutti-Frutti) flavours.
Though the Punch & Judy story, which dates back to 1662, has been updated, elements in the illustrations retain the story’s theatrical heritage. On the front of the packs Punch, Judy and the baby are framed by theatre stage curtains.
- Agency/Creative: Free The Birds
- Article Title: Punch & Judy Children’s Toothpaste Rebrand Created by Free The Birds
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Identity
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Multiple Regions
- Project Deliverables: Brand Advertising, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Brand Redesign, Brand Refinement, Brand Rejuvenation, Brand World, Branding, Identity System, Illustration, Packaging Design, Rebranding, Research
- Industry: Health Care
- Keywords: Children's Toothpaste, Toothpaste, Punch & Judy, Rebrand, Refresh, Brand World