Design the visual identity for Prada’s Fall/Winter 18 themed on activism.
Research demonstrated that artificial intelligence (AI) is developing to having a detrimental effect on humanity, for example: AI being increasingly used in modern warfare. AI taking over humanities way of survival i.e jobs including in the field of design, furthermore, AI is becoming a health issue through gradually dehumanizing society and people’s well being becoming emotionally robotised.
The activism movement therefore focused on reverting AI’s influence and about bringing a positive transformation to society. To present the activism movement in design, a narrative was constructed setting in a futuristic surreal world illustrating the rise and fall of AI but introducing a female protagonist who is consumed by AI’s effect however she then demonstrates resilience and reverts AI’s dark influence on society.
Why it is relevant to Prada:
Prada is generally known as a luxurious brand, however it is less understood that Miuccia Prada focuses the brand on the unconventional side of things besides fashion. Prada is engaged in areas of humanity, technological advancement, activism, environmental and political issues. Prada thrives in being unordinary, brave and bold but also considers ‘ugly to be beautiful’ therefore the brand draws huge influence from surrealism art to deliver an abstract nature in their seasons that communicates a message/story and engages contemplation, in other words Prada likes to be strange but intellectual. Prada Fall/Winter 18 was therefore born from the aforementioned nature of the brand from their brand values, surreal visual style, all within their focused areas of humanity, technology and activism, using relevant issuing surrounding us in this modern age.
The core element of the concept is transformation, therefore this was applied to all the design touch points, to demonstrate transformation but also bring the world and story to life in various forms, from 2D graphics to 3D elements, including immersive experiences and interactive design.
– Key Art
– Website Takeover
– Virtual Reality Giveaway Cards
– Virtual Reality App + experience: An experience where the user can immersive themselves in the surreal world.
– Augmented Reality: Bringing 2D posters to life on the streets
– Interactive Mobile Wallpaper
– Window Display Using Projection Mapping
– LED Interactive Store Mirrors: These project an image over the person’s reflection transforming them into the protagonist whilst people in the background are projected as AI.
– Epic Centre takeover (Largest Prada store where it regularly updates artwork on a huge wall)
– Store Posters
– Store Video Projection
– Catwalk Show Entrance Design
– Catwalk Show Design: LED walls displaying the animated artwork.
– Live-stream: The live-stream is captured using multiple drones which enables viewers online to select a drone and change their view. As the models walk around the catwalk, AI recognition would display the product onto viewers screen to be viewed instantly.