Paper Pearl Pods Packaging Designed by Grow
Challenge: For a long period of time, without much reflection on environmental impact, the packaging industry has developed portion packaging primarily made of plastic. A standard that BillerudKorsnäs, together with manufacturer Syntegon and Grow as conceptual design partner, wanted to challenge by developing more sustainable fibre-based alternatives with a premium look and feel.
Portion packaging is used for a variety of products and are common often as free product samples among customers in the beauty and skincare industry. But sustainability is not enough to create the packaging that discerning brand owners need to present and differentiate their products. In competition with plastic, which can easily be molded and designed for unique product experiences, expectations are no less on portion packaging made of paper.
Solution: Pearl, shaped paper pods, is a result of our joint development of paper portion packaging together with BillerudKorsnäs and Syntegon, building on two previous projects: “Hinoki”, reflecting that modern female travelers’ need ‘portion’ sized solutions for skin- and body care during short business trips. A project followed by the creation of a paper pod of seeds that can be planted directly into the soil
Inspired by life and shapes of the sea, we then conceptualised the project named Pearl. What makes it special are the 3D-properties enabled by the FibreForm paper and manufacturing technology. Resulting in unique tactile experiences and embossed shapes of
the paper shell, driving new business opportunities.
Contributing with our innovation and design skills to improve portion packaging, is a great feeling. To us, Pearl is a beautiful portion pack born in nature, formed by the sea. Proving that new materials and technologies can add value to businesses and brands.
- Design Agency: Grow
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Paper Pearl Pods Packaging Designed by Grow
- Brand / Project Name: Pearl shaped paper pods
- Production Credits: BillerudKorsnäs and Syntegon
- Strategic Deliverables: Research / Insight, Tone of Voice, Product Naming
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Industrial Design
- Location: Sweden
- Market Country: Multiple Countries
- Market Region: Global
- Product Category: Promotional
- Consumer Packaging Format: Tray, Shaped Paper Pod
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Pulp Fibre, Paper