A good story always should have an inspiring beginning, challenging development and meaningful finale. As all the Japanese are laconic we had to do right what it meant to be – no more, no less create a collection of olfactive statements for life. Unravel is the very last one fragrance of Yohji Yamamoto, the signature bow of the Designer.
Unravel is packed in a bunch of meaningful layers, supporting the story behind the fragrance. The bottle has a mirror reflecting signature logo as well as the bottle owner. It is meant to communicate ‘true yourself’ – the final destination of Yohji’s journey. Yet the mirror is covered with yellow stripes to communicate obstacles to go through finding yourself.
The box is plain textured paper with literally nothing on it but embossed Untravel. The true name is covered under the barcode – official name for the fragrances 07|14 or 21|38. All the packaging text is on the outer sleeve, you have to take off one to get to the fragrance. That’s how you literally peel off the unnecessary.
- Agency/Creative: Grisha Serov
- Article Title: Packaging Design for Unravel Fragrance of Yohji Yamamoto
- Organisation/Entity: In-House
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Russia
- Agency/Creative City: Moscow
- Market Region: Global
- Project Deliverables: Packaging Design, Product Design
- Format: Bottle, Box
- Substrate: Glass Bottle
- Industry: Fashion
- Keywords: Beauty, Clean, Cosmetics, Fashion, Fragrance, Japan, Minimal, Perfume, Personal, Yohji Yamamoto
Creative Director: Grisha Serov