How does a new arts organization balance edginess and awareness?
This question guided us while creating the brand identity for the Institute of Contemporary Art, San Diego (ICA).
With a courageous mission to present experimental art that questions everything—and equally ambitious goals to bring art to everyone—ICA, San Diego needed a flexible, multi-functional identity that would create instant recognition and invite people into the conversation.
A bold, out-of-proportion C references “Contemporary” within the full name, creating a memorable mark at even the smallest sizes. For more expressive applications, stylized alternate Cs enable the brand to emphasize an ever-changing dynamic.
Used in headlines, the bold C becomes a shorthand for “see” that brings the brand into the conversation, reminding everyone there’s always something new to C.
With two locations—ICA Central and ICA North—hosting a full slate of programming, the organization needed to ensure visitors arrive to the right place. A vibrant color system gives each campus a distinct presence throughout the digital experience.
The new identity toolkit enables a range of different uses, helping the ICA create more impact in more places.
“MiresBall has created a strong and recognizable brand identity that can evolve over time, with tools to keep it fresh and interesting,” says Gaela Fernandez Florin, Director of Advancement, ICA San Diego.
Read the full story here: https://miresball.com/work/icasandiego/
- Agency/Creative: MiresBall
- Article Title: New Visual Identity for the Institute of Contemporary Art, San Diego, Designed by MiresBall
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: San Diego
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Identity, Web Design
- Industry: Non-Profit
- Keywords: Contemporary Art, Branding, Brand Identity, Website, Design
Principal and Creative Director: John Ball
Senior Designer: David Alderman
Senior Designer: Joanne Yahn