New ‘Sea-Glass’ Bottle Design for Tarquin’s Cornish Gin by Buddy
Buddy – Tarquin’s Cornish Gin
It’s not quite reached the levels of consumption that had Hogarth picking up his etching needle in the 1750s, but a craze for gin has gripped the nation. In 2017, sales of bottles of gin in the UK rose by more than a quarter on the previous year. The thirst for new flavours and small-batch craft gins from artisan distillers shows no sign of being quenched: around 150 new brands are thought to have entered the market in the last two years.
With competition intensifying, Tarquin’s, the booming coastal Cornish distillery set up by chef Tarquin Leadbetter in 2012, asked us to move the brand forward by creating a new bottle for its flagship Cornish Dry Gin and range of gins – one that could ooze quality and provenance from crowded shelves, and win envious looks from brands stuck in stock bottles.
We replaced Tarquin’s off-the-shelf carafe-style vessels with a custom model. Keeping the distinctive wax seal, we’ve crafted a sleeker, more streamlined bottle, with a wider spout and more rounded base. Southwestern Distillery’s puffin emblem has been redrawn and embossed onto the glass, with a suggestion of waves below the hand-signed label, and the entire bottle has an acid-etched finish to be suggested of glass found on the seashore.
- Design Agency: Buddy
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency Commercial, Published
- Article Title: New ‘Sea-Glass’ Bottle Design for Tarquin’s Cornish Gin by Buddy
- Brand / Project Name: Tarquin's Cornish Gin
- External Design Credits: Buddy
- Production Credits: Label Apeel - label Printer Stölzle Flaconnage - Bottle Manufacture
- Project Type: Consumer Brand Creation, Consumer Brand Redesign, Consumer Brand Rejuvenation, Consumer Brand Refinement
- Strategic Deliverables: Consumer Brand World, Consumer Product Brand Architecture
- Design Deliverables: Consumer Branding, Consumer Brand Creation, Consumer Rebranding, Consumer Brand Identity, Consumer Graphic Packaging Design, Consumer Structural Packaging Design
- Location: United Kingdom
- Market Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Global
- Product Category: Spirits
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass