Soon to be a new office, lab, and retail space, The Research and Development District (RaDD) is situated on more than eight acres and occupies six blocks – representing the largest urban commercial waterfront site along California’s Pacific coast.
As one of the country’s premier developments, the RaDD needed a brand identity that matched its impressive location and project ambition.
To do so, MB and WB worked together to develop a brand identity both verbal and visual inspired by the Alpha a symbol of science and leadership, Military and the American Flag as to represent San Diego as a Gateway to the United States, and the Morse Code as a nod to the American Naval Roots and the Urban Lifestyle to highlight the RADD’s location as the “it” destination. The name “RaDD” is inspired by the urban expression “rad = cool” highlighting the essence of the project.
One of the challenges of the project was to create a liquid and versatile brand identity, that allows fits with the formal side of the district, like the labs and the office, and the fun and urban side, like the restaurants and fashion shops.
The visual identity plays with bold typography, white spaces, and colorful photography, which is used as a resource to extract the colors for the backgrounds, creating a visual and apeling harmony.
As a result, we created a brand that affirmed the spirit of American innovation, paid homage to its naval heritage while speaking to the unique essence of San Diego’s unmatched lifestyle.
- Agency/Creative: Mubien Brands and Workshop Built
- Article Title: Mubien Brands and Workshop Built Create Brand Identity for The RaDD
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: San Diego
- Market Region: Europe, North America
- Project Deliverables: Animation, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Identity, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Branding, Design, Graffiti, Graphic Design, Logo Design, Motion Graphics, Street Art, Typography, Web Design
- Industry: Real Estate
- Keywords: TheRadd, Mubien, Architecture, Branding, Colourful, Research Development District
Visual Brand: Mubien Brands
Naming, Strategy and Verbal Brand: Workshop Built