London, 1999. Young brewer Alastair Hook returns home from studying the traditional beer styles of Europe and starts brewing from his flat in Greenwich. He founds the Meantime London brand to brew great tasting beer that everyone can enjoy.
Fast forward to 2019 and international premium craft had exploded, growing at a rate of +25% globally. But it had also become complex and inaccessible to all but the most ardent hop heads.
Meantime London had also lost its purpose and pioneering spirit, with a stripped back identity that was bold but lacked the crafted detail its founder’s passion and precision deserved. The brand needed to reinstate its place as the pioneer of modern craft beer, and turned to Bristol-based strategic design agency Outlaw to do it.
Outlaw’s new identity heroes the iconography of Greenwich – the brand’s London home – with an icon inspired by the Harrison Clocks, the centuries-old marine timepieces that still tick away in the Royal Observatory.
Within the new word marque the crafted letter forms are inspired by the logotype still found above the Greenwich brewery tanks, and curved to reflect a new circular equity – a departure from the linear mark of the past.
Each beer’s ingredients, tasting notes and ABV are built into a central roundel making them easy to understand and shop, and the brand’s credentials as a long-time player in the craft beer game are assured with the inclusion of the established date.
Alastair’s signature on each pack builds a link to the founding story with a guarantee of quality and taste, while the identity is completed with a bold, crafted ‘M’ in the vibrant colours the brand is known for – a beacon that stands out at the bar and in the bottle shop.
Born in London. Truly brewed for all.
- Agency/Creative: Outlaw
- Article Title: Meantime London Reclaims Craft With New Visual Identity by Outlaw
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Global
- Project Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Brand Redesign, Brand Strategy, Brand World, Branding, Graphic Design, Identity System, Packaging Design, Product Architecture, Rebranding, Tone of Voice
- Format: Basket, Bottle, Box, Can, Tray
- Substrate: Glass Bottle, Metal