Maximus Knives is a direct-to-consumer kitchen knife brand geared towards professional chefs and advanced-level home cooks. The knives are meant to be highly customizable for those who use knives for many hours every day. A few ounces added or taken away from certain areas of the knives can really make a difference for professionals. The professional kitchen is demanding and they cannot compromise when it comes to the tools they use. It is something I learned both in culinary school and in the previous chef positions I filled at various restaurants over the years.
Creating a brand that has a style and product that appeals to the professional chefs’ wants and needs was a challenge. I was heavily inspired by my wants and needs from when I was a professional chef. The hand-lettered custom logo is inspired by the precision knife cutting skills chefs have. The dark sleek branding and packaging design creates a premium look and feel. Adding to the premium experience is the custom packaging for the customized knife.
This project began as an advanced type hand-lettered logo. It became a fictitious branded direct-to-consumer knife company. I enjoyed learning how to create black letter using a parallel pen. I also enjoyed bringing a bit of my background as a professional chef to my new graphic design career. One of the biggest challenges was creating a custom sliding box for the knives. I created it with illustration board book cloth and a strip of gray nylon lanyard. Overall this is one of my favorite projects I completed for my portfolio.
- Agency/Creative: Antonio Mustico
- Article Title: Maximus Knives Identity and Packaging Design by Student Antonio Mustico
- Organisation/Entity: Student
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Non Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: San Diego
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: 2D Design, 3D Design, Brand Design, Culinary Arts, Graphic Design, Packaging Design
- Format: Box
- Substrate: Pulp Board
- Industry: Food/Beverage, Retail
- Keywords: Chef Knives, Kitchen Knives
School: San Diego City College