Bella Ciao is a lager craft beer that pays homage to the famous libertarian anthem, a call for universal struggle against all political and social oppression.
The graphic design of the label, applied to the box, coasters, and posters, evokes the Italian origin of the song, using images taken from pamphlets of social protests in Rome during the 1970s, while the ground-breaking Futurism work by the Italian artist Fortunato Depero inspires the logotype and typefaces.
The main purpose of the design is to express the power of the protest, using a strong combination with a striking contrast between the colours red, black, and white. In addition, the lo-fi quality reproduction of the progressive ideological print materials of the 1970s is also expressed in the design of the label, box, and coaster, using offset printing as if it were a mere photocopier.
The Bella Ciao anthem song
“Bella ciao” or “Goodbye beautiful” is an Italian protest folk song from the late 19th century, originally sung by the mondina workers in protest against the harsh working conditions in the paddy fields of northern Italy.
The song ‘Bella Ciao’ (or “Goodbye beautiful”) was modified and adopted as an anthem of the Italian resistance movement by the partisans who opposed nazi-fascism between 1943 and 1945 during their fight against the occupying forces of Nazi Germany allied to the fascist and collaborationist Italian Social Republic. Versions of “Bella ciao” continue to be sung worldwide as an anti-fascist hymn of freedom and resistance.
- Agency/Creative: Marcal.net Studio
- Article Title: Marcal.net Studio Creates Bella Ciao Craft Beer Packaging
- Organisation/Entity: Freelance
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Agency/Creative City: London
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Brand Guidelines, Graphic Design, Packaging Design, Photography
- Format: Bottle, Box
- Substrate: Pulp Board, Pulp Carton, Pulp Paper
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: Bella Ciao Craft Beer Depero Italy Futurism Artwork Label 70's Demonstration Feminism Women Rights
Designer: Marçal Prats
Client: L'Anjub Brewery