London Design Agency Boldly Creates Brand for The Blackboard Artist
In 2013, Michael Tilly began producing bespoke blackboard art for clients around London. Since then, he’s built a business that conducts workshops, sells exclusive artwork and designs blackboards for the likes of Soho House, Everyman Cinemas and Virgin Active.
His business had grown up but his brand hadn’t. So when he approached London based design agency, Boldly for a new brand identity, they got behind Michael’s creative vision and used their branding expertise to craft it into something uniquely special.
The logo design was crafted using Michale’s very own bespoke lettering. Building on the logo, Boldly partnered with Michael to design, refine and digitise a bespoke typeface: The Blackboard Artist Sans.
This custom typeface captured the character and charm of bespoke blackboard lettering – making the brand identity more ownable and personal.
Online sales are a big part of the business, so Boldly built a new e-commerce website with multiple use cases. As well as viewing an updated portfolio, users could book workshops and buy artwork. The back-end offered rich customer management tools, an automated email generator and intuitive content management.
The identity was brought to life with lovely brand photography by Jade Nina Sarkhel and an engaging brand video shot by Tom Walder.
- Design Agency: Boldly
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: London Design Agency Boldly Creates Brand for The Blackboard Artist
- Brand / Project Name: The Blackboard Artist brand identity
- Production Credits: Photography by Jade Nina Sarkhel (https://www.jadesarkhel.co.uk/). Video by Tom Walder (@tom_walder_dop).
- Strategic Deliverables: Research / Insight, Brand Strategy, Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Photography, Brand Identity, Branding, Brand Creation, Graphic Design, Brand Guidelines, Rebranding, Bespoke typography
- Service Brand Application: Apparel, Brand Guidelines, Email/Newsletter, Film/TV/Radio, Print Promotion, Print Stationery, Social Media, Website
- Location: United Kingdom
- Market Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Keywords: Branding, brand identity, logo design, brand video
- Industry Category: Hospitality