The Life Tree exhibition is dedicated to the English naturalist and traveler Charles Darwin (1809-1882). The scientist was one of the first to come to the conclusion and substantiated the idea that all species of living organisms evolve over time and come from common ancestors. During his expeditions, he made a number of descriptions of the geology of various areas, gathered a collection of animals, and also made a brief description of the external structure and anatomy of many marine invertebrates. The scientist also investigated the origin of man, the expression of emotions, pollination of some types of domestic plants.
His main work was the book “The Origin of Species”, which was published in 1859. It is in it Darwin called natural selection the main mechanism of species evolution. As part of his theory, the English scientist used the concept of the “tree of life” to illustrate that all species on Earth are related and evolved from a common ancestor.
The concept of the “tree of life” inspired me to create the “LifeTree” font. It turned out to be branchy, intense, smooth, lively, which reveals the nature of the evolution process. The font has a pronounced Victorian style.
The style of the exhibition is quite rich and multi-layered. The surfaces of the media: posters, tickets, badges, banners, are filled almost completely, which also supports the story with the Victorian style. The letters are located all over the surface on the carrier and interact with engravings: they are intertwined with plant images and tame living creatures, forming a single living, diverse system.
- Agency/Creative: Dina Gumen
- Article Title: LifeTree Font and Exhibition Identity of Charles Darwin
- Organisation/Entity: Student
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Russia
- Agency/Creative City: Moscow
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Identity, Branding, Exhibition Design, Identity System, Type Design, Visualisation
- Industry: Education
- Keywords: font, branding, identity, science, exhibition, evolution, nature, life tree
Student: Dina Gumen
University: HSE Art And Design School
Tutor: Ivan Vetrov