Hunger Give Planted-based Meat, Abbot’s Butcher a Quality New Brand
Hunger Craft – Abbot’s Butcher
Positioning Abbot’s Butcher as a quality meat alternative by adding craft and care.
Plant-based meat alternative, Abbot’s Butcher was winning in food service but had its sights set firmly on retail. To succeed on heavily competitive shelves, they needed to build a brand which helped consumers step out of their comfort zone and swap in a quality meat-alternative to their diet.
Made from nature, for nature, Abbot’s Butcher prides itself on its chef-driven quality. The visual language of a butchers is filled with traditional craft cues such as blackboard textures and hand-illustrations, but this aesthetic was lacking amongst the plant-based meat category. To reflect Abbot’s Butcher’s level of quality and care, we develoxped a series of bespoke woodcut style illustrations.
Each animal incorporates leaves into its design as a nod to its plant-based origins, while the plant-based message sits in a consistent call out on pack.
Paired with a premium, seriffed wordmark and natural chalkboard texture, the overall pack appeals to a broad, flexitarian audience by positioning Abbot’s Butcher as a quality swap.
Plus, with many competitors mimicking taste but having a long list of ingredients you can barely pronounce, we wanted to draw attention to Abbot’s Butcher’s clean label approach. The nutritional panel on back of pack is literally framed, showing each delicious alternative has nothing to hide.
These brand assets translate seamlessly off pack onto aprons, meal cards, advertising and beyond.
- Design Agency: Hunger Craft
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Hunger Give Planted-based Meat, Abbot’s Butcher a Quality New Brand
- Brand / Project Name: Abbot's Butcher packaging design
- Designer: Design Director: Melissa Preston , Illustrator: Fruzsina Folfoldi
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand World, Brand Strategy
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Illustration, Brand Identity, Branding, Brand Redesign, Graphic Design, Rebranding
- Location: United Kingdom
- Market Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Product Category: Fresh Food
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box, Sleeve
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Plastic, Pulp Board