Lighthouse Brewing Company – founded in 1998 – is one of the original Victoria, BC breweries that started the West Coast craft beer movement. After years of brand fragmentation, Hired Guns Creative was tasked with creating a bold, cohesive identity for this well established brewery in order to drum up interest in their beers and grab the attention of younger customers. Some of these beers have a long history and required new energy while still respecting their heritage.
For the refresh of the branding, we drew a new lighthouse icon based on the lighthouse at Race Rocks. The brewery’s Race Rocks Ale is one of their oldest and best-known products and we wanted to pay homage to it. Utilizing the stripes on the lighthouse, the new mark visually centres more within its circular frame. New typography featuring spurs on the centres of each letter catches the eye and allows the mark to work at smaller scales.
For each product we focused on crafting new narratives that blend Nautical themes wth the fantastical. Action and adventure are packed on the surface of each can. The use of lighthouses is a motif that is leveraged in a number of the can designs. Unique wordmarks give each beer a clear personality. Hidden in the artwork a small lighthouse keeper is ever present.
- Agency/Creative: Hired Guns Creative
- Article Title: Hired Guns Creative Revamps Lighthouse Brewing’s Packaging
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: Canada
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Guidelines, Brand World, Branding, Graphic Design, Illustration, Packaging Design, Rebranding
- Format: Bottle, Box, Can
- Substrate: Glass Bottle, Metal, Pulp Carton