‘Sands&Spices’ is a range of Moroccan spices and condiments designed for the paper merchant, Spicers for ‘Bereber Sand Ultra’, an FSC certified premium recycled self-adhesive paper stock. Inspired by the Moroccan dunes, this stock reveals the inherent warmth and texture of its natural and organic origins.
The intertwined Sands&Spices brand device is based on the arabesque knot. The label design implements the concept of patterned tessellated tiles with colours evoking the exotic richness of a Marrakesh bazaar bedded on earthy desert sand.
The diecut key shape is nested and repeated, like the tiles themselves, also making label production more economical. The key shape multiplies across the wide range of exotic spices and luscious condiments – with each variant label having its own distinguishing geometric motif and colour palette.
The range exemplifies the stock’s versatility across both wet and dry foodstuffs and the adaptability of the design across the various size and shapes of the glass vessels with eco sustainable bamboo lids. The jars become a reusable and collectable spice storage system.
The brand and packaging for ‘Sands&Spices’ was designed as a limited edition exemplar for the Spicers ‘Wine & Gourmet Companion’, a compendium of narrow web self-adhesive stocks, used in the packaging of wine, beer, spirits and gourmet foods. The Spicers Wine and Gourmet Companion along with the Design, Print and Application Guide intends to facilitate a better understanding of label application and encourage further education in effective label performance.
- Agency/Creative: Harcus Design
- Article Title: Harcus Design Creates Branding and Packaging Design for Sands & Spices Moroccan Condiments
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Australia
- Agency/Creative City: Sydney
- Market Region: Oceania
- Project Deliverables: Advertising Photography, Art, Beauty Photography, Brand Design, Brand Experience, Device Design, Packaging Design, Pattern Design
- Format: Box, Jar
- Substrate: Pulp Paper
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: WBDS Agency Design Awards 2021/22
Creative Director & Designer: Annette Harcus
Photographer: Stephen Clarke