Harcus Design Create Maine Beach Kakadu Plum Bodycare and Home Fragrances Packaging Design
Found only within the pristine bushland of Australia’s top end is the wonder fruit ingredient of natural skincare — the Kakadu plum. Maine Beach used its botanical riches and paired it with Wild Rosella to create this uniquely Australian bodycare and fragrance collection. Kakadu Plum is super rich in antioxidants (10x more than blueberries).
Ancestral remedy with skin revitalising nutrients
For thousands of years, the indigenous communities across Northern Australia have used this native
plum for its therapeutic and medicinal properties. The Kakadu plum is abundant in antioxidants with the
highest vitamin C concentration of any fruit in the world. It’s packed with skin revitalising and protective
Hand-picked from the wild
The Kakadu plums are 100% wild-harvested and sustainably sourced from bushlands in the Kimberley
region by traditional owners of the land and their communities. Through ancestral knowledge and land
practices, they’ve created a sustainable enterprise on country.
The collection was to be designed and presented in an authentic and contemporary way.
A significant aspect of the success of Maine Beach’s products is the packaging – a major proportion of sales are purchased as gifting. The packaging is not just to provide protection, but to create packs that are beautiful and rich in sensory detail, that are impactful on shelf and express the theme and hero ingredients.
Our collab with the indigenous artist, Malaluba Gumana
We collaborated with renowned Australian artist, Malaluba Gumana in the creation of the artwork featured on the Kakadu Plum packaging. Her work celebrates her maternal clan’s identity and heritage close to the Dhaḻwaŋu clan homeland of Gäṉgaṉin clan in Arnhem Land at the top end of Australia.
Featuring the Rarrk cross-hatched illustration, the packaging is highly textural using a terracotta pink palette with gold foil highlights and embossing across the box packaging. Whereas the ultra matte metal bottles and tubes connect by the striking signature colour and lush foil accents.
Just released, the Kakadu Plum Collection with its amazing and exotic ingredients and authentic Aboriginal artwork interpreted in a contemporary way, has exceeded our client’s expectations and generated fantastic sales.
A range really becomes successful when the product harmonises and aligns on the multiple fronts – content (core ingredients / organic / sustainability / transparency regarding origin), efficacy (does it work for me), visual appeal (does it look good in my space) and aspirational desires (does it reflect well upon me).
The packaging has succeeded in transcending boundaries and supposed age barriers – in that, it is proving to be successful across multiple age brackets – from millennials through to the baby boomers.
The box packaging is made from durable rigid art-card, making them ideal for overseas travellers – or to treasure. Metal bottles, tins and glassware are recyclable and are envisaged as being retained as keepsakes or re-imagined.
- Design Agency: Harcus Design
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Harcus Design Create Maine Beach Kakadu Plum Bodycare and Home Fragrances Packaging Design
- Brand / Project Name: Kakadu Plum
- External Design Credits: Designer: Galya Akhmetzyanova; Creative Director: Annette Harcus; Artist: Malaluba Gumana; Photography: Stephen Clarke
- Strategic Deliverables: Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Photography, Brand Identity, Structural Design, Branding, Brand Creation, Graphic Design, Brand Digital Design, Brand Advertising
- Location: Australia
- Market Country: Australia
- Market Region: Oceania
- Product Category: Health & Beauty
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle, Bowl, Box, Jar, Pouch, Sachet, Tag, Tin, Tray, Tube
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass, Glass Jar, Metal, Plastic, Pulp Paper