Gamified Packaging Invites to Rediscover Lithuanian Language and Desserts
The cultural heritage of Lithuania has many layers, which formed in five distinct ethnographic regions over many centuries. Each territory is characterised by unique dialects, mythology, musical folklore, ethno-architecture, customs, folk art, traditional handicrafts and culinary heritage. We created an interactive system, showing the multi-layered nature of Lithuanian heritage.
A collection of seven packages include: culinary heritage desserts from every region (five), board game fabric and one special dessert that cannot be assigned to only one region – spit cake. Because of its unique shape and bright yellow colour, we present spit cake as a symbol of a golden crown. It’s a cake that unites all five regions.
For the packaging we chose minimal, clean design and bright colours. We purposely did not use any glue or a lot of printing (to strengthen in-artificial and homely feeling the game board is also made from natural linen). We also wanted to present ethnocultural heritage in a different context. The context of a modern family game.
A culinary heritage product line “On the tip of a tongue” and a game also serves an educational purpose and focuses on dialectical differences. The game consists of a mobile application and a board game themed fabric. The process of food tasting is also an integral part of this game. Additionally, ethnographic regions are presented through language, customs and traditional Lithuanian cuisine. The players are free to choose which regional desserts they want to include in the game.
- Design Agency: Diana Molyte, Dovile Kacerauskaite
- Organisation/Project Type: Student, Non Published Concept Design
- Article Title: Gamified Packaging Invites to Rediscover Lithuanian Language and Desserts
- Brand / Project Name: Ethnocultural project “On the tip of a tongue”
- External Design Credits: Designers: Diana Molyte, Dovile Kacerauskaite; Tutor: Ausra Lisauskiene; School: Vilnius Academy of Arts; Video creators: Lina Margaityte, Marius Krivicius
- Strategic Deliverables: Product Naming
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Brand Identity, Graphic Design, Game design, gamification
- Location: Lithuania
- Market Country: Lithuania
- Market Region: Europe
- Product Category: Promotional
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Fabric, Paper