To build a brand that stands out and win awards, in a world where everything has already been created can be challenging. It requires developing a powerful strategy, story and visual identity. The brand development process needs to be well-structured and the design team — well-led.
This challenging process has been highlighted in this new identity by Future London Academy’s design team for its Branding Now course — the ultimate course on Brand Design and Strategy for Senior Creatives. Curated by Campbell and Robyn Butler, Co-founders of Brisbane-based, Lovework Studio. Together they have over 18 years of experience in Brand Design and Strategy, working at legendary agencies such as Wolff Olins and Design Studio.
Future London Academy’s design team created a system that is dynamic and adaptive. It is built around a multilayered system, where the layers overlap, reorganise and change positions. Strong icons depicting a Book, Heart and Hexagon stand for Story, Symbol and System. These three design and strategy pillars summarise what is needed to build brands that stand out from the competition. Initially, they were a quick sketch Campbell created during one of the first sessions to explain the idea of the course. The design team loved the icons so they build the design system around them.
The typography and layouts are influenced by Swiss School Design — bold and simple they reflect the functionality and structure that are behind any powerful brand work. The strong lines created by typography allow keeping the layouts clean but eye-catching. For the merch designs, punchy quotes from the curators were used to remind us that to experiment and sketch ideas away from the computer. Not only is it an essential part of the brand development process, but that great ideas come from being human.
- Agency/Creative: Future London Academy
- Article Title: Future London Academy’s Identity for Branding Now Will Inspire You to Build Standout Brand Design and Strategy
- Organisation/Entity: In-House
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Agency/Creative City: London
- Market Region: Europe, North America, Global
- Project Deliverables: Brand Design, Brand Identity, Graphic Design, Identity System
- Industry: Education
- Keywords: mission and vision, brand identity, brand storytelling, visual identity, strategic planning, strategy course, develop a brand, brand story, marketing plan, corporate identity, visual branding, strategic business management, strategic marketing management, corporate image, marketing management, brand system, design system, swiss design
Graphic Designer: Polina Kirei
Branding Now Curator & Creative Director: Campbell Butler
Branding Now Curator & Creative Director: Robyn Butler