Established Creates an Environmentally Responsible Packaging Design for FaceGym Skincare
Established was asked to design a line of skincare for FaceGym, the premier providers of non-invasive workouts for the face. The brief was to be as environmentally responsible as possible.
11 million tonnes of plastic end up in the oceans every year. One skincare jar is equivalent to 50 plastic bags. Almost everything in the beauty industry is made of plastic. It is estimated that it will take 500 years for a plastic jar to decompose. Unlike plastic Aluminum can be recycled infinitely with zero loss.
The beauty industry has struggled to find truly environmentally responsible solutions to packaging given the high expectations of the consumer for a prestige look combined with sensitive formulas and a very set-in-its-ways supply chain. We wanted to challenge this norm and find a breakout new approach by creating a beautiful product that would meet the consumers’ expectation of luxury while also being infinitely recyclable. In an entirely new approach, we sought out an innovative Italian metalwork manufacturer for this project – outside the normal beauty industry supply chain and the resulting jar stands up visually in the extremely competitive luxury market but is made of recycled aluminum, with a refill system of 100% recycled ocean plastic. Aluminum can be recycled infinitely with zero loss and each jar is individually numbered to encourage the consumer to keep it as a precious object, rather than a disposable plastic one-time use item.
This is to our knowledge the world’s first commercially produced skincare jar made of solid aluminum.
- Agency/Creative: ESTABLISHED
- Article Title: Established Creates an Environmentally Responsible Packaging Design for FaceGym Skincare
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: New York
- Market Region: Europe, North America
- Project Deliverables: 3D Design, Design, Graphic Design, Packaging Design
- Format: Bottle, Jar, Tube
- Substrate: Glass, Metal, Plastic
- Industry: Health Care
- Keywords: Sustainable packaging
Creative Director: Sam O'Donahue