About: Ecoalf is a Spanish sustainable fashion brand that uses fabrics and materials made from plastic waste collected from the sea. In 2022, they decided to launch a personal care line. For this launch, Ecoalf joined forces with RNB, a cosmetic group with pharmaceutical origins with more than 30 years of expertise in the industry.
According to a study carried out by the Technological Institute (ITENE), a 74% reduction in CO2 emissions and a 70% reduction in water consumption is achieved compared to equivalent conventional products during one year of use. The goal for 2025 is to prevent the production of over 78,000 plastic containers that end up in landfills.
The design of this line focused (from a sustainability point of view) on two key objectives:
1. To drastically reduce the CO2 footprint compared to traditional cosmetic lines. In the products that make up this line, water has been eliminated from the formulas, reducing volume and weight and, therefore, CO2 emissions during transport.
2. Eliminate the use of single-use plastics. Ecoalf Wellness proposes reusable containers, so we avoid the use of disposable plastic bottles, and made of aluminium, which is 100% recyclable without losing its qualities. In addition, the energy required for its recycling process barely reaches 5% of what was required to produce it initially. This recycling process can be carried out indefinitely, obtaining aluminium again and again with the same quality it had at the beginning of the cycle.
The Solution: Our work in this project extended beyond packaging design, working as a team with the marketing, production and formulation areas while seeking for the most eco-friendly solutions. The outcome is a line designed to revolutionise personal care through solid and powdered formulations, deliberately made water-free to reduce weight and, therefore, CO2 emissions during transportation. A line of multifunctional and multi-benefit products with environmentally-conscious ingredients and processes.
One of the most important challenges in this project was the design of a new packaging that would be both functional and durable, while still being visually appealing. In line with the brand’s commitment to the environment, the packaging had to be 100% recyclable, reusable and free of single-use plastic. We have therefore designed an aluminium container system with refillable products that allow the user easy and comfortable replacement. Moreover, the packaging for the refills (available in compostable “pouch”, “stick” and “lip balm” formats) is also recyclable and reusable.
As for the graphic solution, it serves as a communication tool that explains the reason and the method of use of each product, so important in an innovative line like this one, which invites the user to discover a new way of taking care of their skin and the planet.
Soap and Shampoo: Reusable powder dispenser: Aluminum + 00% FSC recycled cardboard box and Refill: Paper + biodegradable and compostable film (film made from corn starch). Lip Balm: Reusable case: Aluminum + 100% FSC recycled cardboard box and Refill: Paper pulp. Body Moisturizer, Deodorant, and Sunscreen: Reusable stick format: Aluminum + 100% FSC recycled cardboard box and Refill: Recycled cardboard + biodegradable ‘waterproof’ inner paper
- Agency/Creative: Lavernia & Cienfuegos
- Article Title: Ecoalf Wellness Sustainable Fashion Brand by Lavernia & Cienfuegos
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Spain
- Agency/Creative City: Valencia
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: 3D Design, Art Direction, Graphic Design, Packaging Guidelines, Product Photography
- Format: Box, Case, Pouch
- Industry: Beauty/Cosmetics
- Keywords: Lavernia & Cienfuegos , eco-friendly, sustainable packaging, aluminium, refill, reusable, recyclable, water-free,
Creative Direction: Lavernia & Cienfuegos
Industrial Designer: Andreu Gadea
Graphic Designer: Tomás Martín
Photographer: Ernesto Sampons
Photographer: Daniel Molina