Created during lockdown in 2020, the Banksia range for Trentham Estate was conceived after a time of reflection. Our studio is based in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. For 13 weeks in 2020, we were locked down with stage 4 restrictions. Our only way to catch up with friends in person was to meet up for a walk outdoors – masks on. During this time many people reconnected with nature and for many, enjoyed bird watching for the first time.
Trentham Estate resides on the beautiful banks of the Murray River, Australia, where it is home to hundreds of species of native flora and fauna. Leading down to the river is the native garden abundant with wildlife. It is here that the local lorikeets munch on the native Banksia flower.
The peaceful but colourful aspect of the design has been created to engage an emotive connection with the consumer. Although planned for a domestic market in the near future, the aim was to engage with an export market. We set out to create a brand that was ‘tastefully’ quintessential Australian – without kangaroos and koalas!
With Trentham Estate’s unique position by the river, every project we work on for them is based on the river aspect to create a consistent brand story. The curved diecut edge represents the flow of the river and adds to the tranquility of the brand to create a sense of place and shelf impact.
To capture the birds and foliage we sourced talented Illustrator, Andrew Hopgood. The back label has been thoughtfully designed by following through the diecut edge, added wavy lines and an approachable tone-of-voice to connect with the mid range consumer this brand needs to appeal to. Our client has been inundated with interest from export markets all over the world with many more to come.
- Agency/Creative: Design Energy
- Article Title: Design Energy Created Banksia Range of Wine Labels for Trentham Estate
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Australia
- Agency/Creative City: Melbourne
- Market Region: South America
- Project Deliverables: Art, Art Direction, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Brand Tone of Voice, Branding, Creative Direction, Design, Graphic Design, Illustration, Label Design
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Pulp Paper
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: WBDS Agency Design Awards 2021/22
Creative Director: Trish Dunstone
Designer: Trish Dunstone
Illustrator: Andrew Hopgood