Established in 2014 Northern Monk is a brewery renowned for its full-flavoured modern Pale Ales, IPAs and experimental Patrons Project. But while creativity and innovation is at the heart of Northern Monk’s brand, their new project wanted to turn the clock back to simpler times.
Thirst was approached to build a new stand-alone brand for their fresh proposition: a clean, crisp pilsner-style lager. Lager, like many of life’s best things, is a simple pleasure. So, like the lager itself, the brand wanted to take a classic, no-nonsense approach to its craft as a celebration of the simpler things in life.
Taking inspiration from a time when beer was beer and made with four ingredients, we brought vintage beer cues to the fore.
Bold typography lockups create a classic holding shape with contemporary edge. The Northern Monk himself is held neatly in the centre of our arc, a proud badge of quality.
A simple two-colour palette with highlights of antique gold paired with traditional quality messages such as ‘issued only by Northern Monk’ and ‘trade mark’ complete the nostalgic tone. A gold top ties the can together as the finishing touch.
Striking, simple and self-assured, this is classic design for Northern Monk’s classic lager.
- Agency/Creative: Thirst Craft
- Article Title: Classic Design for Northern Monk’s Classic Lager
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United Kingdom
- Market Region: Europe
- Project Deliverables: Brand Identity, Brand World, Packaging Design
- Format: Can
- Substrate: Metal
- Keywords: WBDS Agency Design Awards 2020/21