Chen Design Associates Create Darling Wines Brand Identity and Packaging
Ashley and Tom Darling are a husband-and-wife team in Sonoma, California, producing elegant, minimal-intervention wines that are full of energetic character yet beautifully restrained. Founded in 2017 with 50 cases of Syrah, today they produce 500 cases annually collaborating with a handful of local, family-owned vineyards that farm by hand without harmful chemicals. They approached Chen Design Associates to reimagine the Darling Wines brand identity and packaging in a way that highlights their intentional craft and passion for people and place. ⠀
“The result was mindfulness and timelessness.…that communicates our minimal intervention ethos through its design.” – Ashley Darling, Co-Founder
Tom and Ashley have a strong sense of mission and purpose, and Chen Design collaborated with them to finesse the details of their story and values into a clearer expression of their brand. Inspired by a new take on old traditions, Darling Wines supports conscious farming and ethical business practices. Their audience of modern, upscale professionals has an avid curiosity for wine.
Our label and cork design details convey the quality, intention, and purity of their wines, both at first glance and upon closer inspection. The updated “D” monogram is a nod to their move from the East Coast to beautiful wine country in Sonoma, and also reveals a nautical spirit as many of their wines are made from vineyards in cooler, coastal climates.
Our new label design showcases actual vineyard topography in a new illustration that combines tasteful design with what is most essential. Our goal was to allow the wine and terroir to shine, reflecting Darling Wine’s philosophy of adding nothing unnecessary during their winemaking process.
In addition to the truer presentation of their branding identity and packaging, we created a Virtual Tasting Deck to help this small business connect with broader audiences during the time of social distancing.
“Chen Design Associates is a team of storytellers, brand storytellers. They use artistry to paint a picture using subtle nuances and deep attention to detail.” – Ashley Darling, Co-Founder
- Design Agency: Chen Design Associates
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Chen Design Associates Create Darling Wines Brand Identity and Packaging
- Brand / Project Name: Darling Wines Brand Identity and Packaging
- External Design Credits: Creative Director: Joshua C. Chen Brand Strategist: Irene Kim Shepherd Designer: Bernee Briones Project Manager: Eric Lo
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Strategy, Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Illustration, Brand Identity, Graphic Design, Virtual Tasting Deck
- Location: United States
- Market Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Product Category: Wine
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle, Cork
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass Bottle