Introducing London’s very first Absinthe distillery, Devil’s Botany. The small-batch distillery, based in Leyton, reached out to Chad Michael Studio to bring their eccentric brand with historic roots to life. A studio that specializes in branding and packaging for innovative spirits and other speciality goods.
“Devil’s Botany Absinthe, whom also has begun producing Gin, honors the traditions mastered by the historic absinthe distillers of Switzerland’s Val-de-Travers while introducing a new style of absinthe that is quintessentially British,” says co-founder Allison Crawbuck. All products are copper pot distilled using ingredients true to the recipes during the 18th century.
The brand pays homage to the peculiar characters and apothecary aesthetics of 18th century London. “They are the embodiment of another time, when the world saw everything as fascinating. It was the era of invention,” says studio owner Chad Michael.
A primary goal with the design was for it to reflect the 1800’s apothecary aesthetic but while avoiding being a gimmicky pastiche. The design needed to take inspiration from the era but not directly mimic it. The end result being a refreshed approach to numerous historic inspirations.
The 7 botanical Gin and the 14 botanical Absinthe are the distillery’s first two potent potables. But coming late 2021 there will be a new offering joining the range. Follow Devil’s Botany and Chad Michael Studio on Instagram for immediate updates!
- Agency/Creative: Chad Michael Studio
- Article Title: Chad Michael Studio Creates Label Packaging Design for London’s First Absinthe Distillery
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: Dallas
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Design, Illustration, Logo Design, Packaging Design, Product Photography
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass Bottle
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: absinthe, london, package design, gin, label design, spirits, liquor, spirit design, typography, lettering, print design
Agency: Chad Michael Studio
Client: Devil's Botany