ASV Wines came to CF Napa Brand Design to redesign their Montoya brand of five different varietals, including reds, whites and a rosé. The packaging needed to be refreshed to appeal to a Millennial audience and to refocus its offering as wines exclusive to Monterey County. CF Napa developed a new brand story and positioning that centered on Monterey, California and its unique terroir.
One of the premium grape-growing and wine-producing regions in California, and the world, Monterey County is made up of one-of-a-kind microclimates that provide a range of diverse growing conditions crucial to producing exceptionally crisp, flavorful wines. With the majority of the region flanked by the Santa Lucia Mountains on the west and the Gabilan mountain range on the east, Monterey benefits from warm, sun-drenched days tempered by cool afternoon fog that drifts in off the cold waters of the Pacific Ocean.
CF Napa’s solution was to create fun, non-traditional packaging inspired by the native flora of the Monterey region and the natural, rugged beauty of the California coastal landscape. The labels utilize a minimal amount of text and bloom with hand-drawn illustrations created by CF Napa. Each varietal label is unique, creating a visually dynamic bouquet across the portfolio. The white band sets the brand name apart from the rest of the label while tying together the multiple varietals. This creates a consistency across the SKUs while still allowing for a dynamic visual lineup. The new brand seal has a modern M that also references the mountains that surround the region. Produced in gold foil, the seal endorses the wine, validating it as a true expression of Monterey. The stunning result was an unexpected label design that deeply rooted the wines’ connection with the special coastal Monterey County AVA. Classic wines of breathtaking beauty, Montoya is a welcome escape from the ordinary.
- Agency/Creative: CF Napa Brand Design
- Article Title: CF Napa’s Redesign for Montoya Blooms Wines
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Identity, Brand Redesign, Brand Rejuvenation, Brand Strategy, Branding, Graphic Design, Illustration, Packaging Design, Rebranding
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass, Glass Bottle, Metal, Pulp Paper
- Keywords: WBDS Creative Design Awards 2020/21