Following the redesign of the Landmark Series wines, Boordy Vineyards engaged CF Napa Brand Design to refresh and premiumize their Chesapeake Icons brand. This series of wines accounted for a majority of the winery’s sales so, while it was due for a refresh, it was extremely important that the new look did not alienate current faithful customers.
The previous wine packaging featured illustrations of the iconic animals of the Chesapeake – the region Boordy Vineyards calls home.
“The rich history of the Chesapeake has been shared by the makers of this wine, the R.B. Deford family, for 12 generations.”
The illustrations were strategically restaged to maximize their visual impact while maintaining their delicate features. The usage of pencil sketch tones for these drawings created a new evocative, modern aesthetic for the packaging. These animals provide a window into the unique ecology of Maryland while also creating a crystal-clear SKU differentiation system.
Rockfish – The Rockfish spawns in the tributaries of the Chesapeake before migrating into the Atlantic. It is the most treasured fish in the region’s waters.
Blue Crab – The pugnacious Blue Crab inhabits the aquatic grasslands of the Chesapeake and is a prized delicacy sought by watermen for generations. Great Blue Heron – The Great Blue Heron is a solitary fisherman whose graceful silhouette is visible along the shoreline and tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay. Terrapin – The Diamondback Terrapin, often seen lazing in the waters of the Chesapeake Bay, was given its name by the Algonquian Indians of Maryland’s Eastern Shore. Mallards – The Mallard is a regal sight in wetlands throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed during the fall, winter, and early spring. Oriole – The Baltimore Oriole is a migratory songbird bearing the name and shield colours of Maryland’s founder, Lord Baltimore. Oyster – The humble Eastern Oyster is integral to the health of Chesapeake waters and is a culinary treasure for those who pry it open. Red Fox – Intelligent and cunning, the Red Fox forages for food in the woods and marshes of the Chesapeake.
The refined Boordy Vineyards logo was brought front and center on a colorful band on the otherwise black and white label – directing the eye to the winery name for easy brand recognition.
- Agency/Creative: CF Napa Brand Design
- Article Title: CF Napa Captures Maryland’s Grandeur with New Chesapeake Icons
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: Napa
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Art, Art Direction, Beauty Photography, Brand Architecture, Brand Design, Brand Identity, Brand Mark, Brand Redesign, Brand Refinement, Brand Rejuvenation, Brand Strategy, Branding, Creative Direction, Design, Graphic Design, Icon Design, Identity System, Illustration, Label Design, Logo Design, Packaging Design, Photography, Photography Styling, Product Design, Product Photography, Rebranding, Retouching
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass, Glass Bottle, Metal, Pulp Paper
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: CF Napa Brand Design, Boordy Vineyards, Wine, Packaging, Packaging Design, Graphic Design, Branding, Maryland, USA
Design Agency: CF Napa Brand Design