A family staple for generations and one of the most iconic food brands in America, Land O’Lakes enlisted the help of brand design agency CBX to attract new customers and reframe their brand equity in the eyes of current customers. Land O’Lakes had been a farmer-owned cooperative for nearly a century, but many people—even current customers—were simply unaware of this information. Together, brand design agency CBX guided Land O’Lakes through a packaging redesign to celebrate the farmers behind the product.
CBX’s approach involved enhancing and refining some of the brand’s strongest assets and combining them with focused meaning and engaging photography. They connected “Farmer-Owned” directly to the brand mark on-pack while using photography of actual Land O’Lakes farms to tell a more expansive story about simple goodness, replacing the maiden illustration altogether.
CBX also simplified the brand mark to create a bull’s eye effect, giving it more impact at shelf by connecting each product together. More consistent flavor naming and color-coding helped simplify the product architecture, making the flavor spreads easier for consumers to discover and shop. The new design utilizes all sides of the carton, inviting consumers to learn more as they interact with the packaging.
As result, the new look and feel led the brand to a stronger impact at shelf with more uniform packaging design across products and achieved improved shop-ability through stronger branding and more consistent flavor descriptions.
- Agency/Creative: CBX
- Article Title: CBX Refreshes Land O’Lakes Pack and Story
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: New York, NY
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Brand Design, Brand Rejuvenation, Brand Strategy, Branding, Graphic Design, Insight, Packaging Design, Photography, Research
- Format: Box
- Substrate: Plastic, Pulp Carton
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: butter, Land O'Lakes, dairy, packaging design, brand identity, refresh
Creative Director: Scott Fisher
Account Director: Nicole Travis