Caribou Coffee Signature Packaging
A brand with roots in the North, Caribou Coffee has been “Fueling Adventure Since 1992”, so it only made sense that the brief to redesign the brand’s signature packaging looked to its heritage for inspiration. Creating a “sense of place” not only offered a truer connection to its provenance but also created a proprietary expression to unify the brand’s portfolio. An illustrative interpretation of the North leans heavily on Caribou’s distinctive blue color. The result is a strongly-branded expression that’s premium, with a playful personality.
The label system architecture brings signature, flavored and single origin coffees into one system, differentiating varietals with color and pattern. Designations for ground, whole bean, decaffeinated and caffeinated products each have a place in the structure. Additional iconography is used on the package to convey coffee credentials and to make functional information like brewing instructions easier to understand. Copy is used both to convey brand personality and function. The whole system provides a toolkit of brand language designed to extend the brand across a growing portfolio of products.
New product innovation continues to grow the portfolio. Each addition draws on a robust toolkit of brand language, adding category cues and other essential information to work hard on behalf of the brand, and each product. Single-serve, ready-to-drink cold brew cans and growlers accentuate the brand icon with a bold personality. Other line extensions are strongly branded and add continuity to the brand at the point of sale.
- Design Agency: Cue
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Caribou Coffee Signature Packaging
- Brand / Project Name: Caribou Coffee Packaging
- External Design Credits: Alan Colvin- Creative Director, Matt Erickson- Designer
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Architecture, Research / Insight, Product Architecture, Brand Strategy
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Illustration, Brand Identity, Identity System, Branding, Brand Refinement, Brand Redesign, Brand Creation, Graphic Design, Brand Guidelines, Brand Rejuvenation, Retail Brand Design, Rebranding
- Location: United States
- Market Country: Multiple Countries
- Market Region: Multiple Regions
- Product Category: Beverages
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bag, Bottle, Box, Can, Pouch, Sleeve, Tag, Wrap
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Glass, Glass Bottle, Plastic, Pulp Board, Pulp Paper