Based in Edmonton, Canada, CannaLab is a cannabis dispensary that was ready to redefine the industry. Modern positive research and legalisation of both medicinal and recreational marijuana consumption across various parts of the globe have led to major cultural shifts and changes in attitudes. CannaLab wanted to capitalise on this and position themselves as leaders of change.
Their brand needed to challenge stigmatisation and traditional ‘stoner’ culture. It needed to reach newer audiences, people willing to explore their creativity and life experience, but to those wanting to take a more educated approach to a once illegal and misunderstood product.
Our solution reinforces the communication of expertise by blending the world of cannabis and science. Creating the name CannaLab was a way to celebrate the joining and transformation of marijuana in our current global market with science. We drew inspiration from the hemispheres of the brain to create the CannaLab logo, Canna being the right hemisphere, which has more of an elegant and creative typeface, whereas Lab, from the left hemisphere, has a typeface that represents more of an analytical and logical form. The graphic icon was created to further highlight the union of science and nature by fusing a marijuana leaf within a periodic table-inspired grid. Colours were selected to further harmonise the usage of cannabis as an alternative medicine by selecting colours that resonated within the pharmaceutical space as well as street culture.
CannaLab’s new brand, and touchpoints that it was rolled out to, has garnered much attention and given them a platform to express their vision on a global scale. We thank our supportive clients who allowed this creative process to be so natural and informative to both partners.
Control studio is an inclusive design studio. We specialise in brand identity, web design, packaging, and art direction.
- Agency/Creative: Control Studio
- Article Title: Cannabis Dispensary that is Ready to Redefine the Industry
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Australia
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Advertising, Brand Architecture, Brand Creation, Brand Digital Design, Brand Experience, Brand Guidelines, Brand Identity, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Brand World, Branding, Graphic Design, Identity System, Packaging Design, Research / Insight, Retail Brand Design, Tone of Voice
- Industry: Pharmaceutical
- Keywords: Cannabis Dispensary, Cannabis Packaging, Cannabis Branding, Cannabis Retail