Building a Makeup Brand: Standing Out in an Overcrowded Market
Makeup is an enormous category. In the early stages of evaluating brands in the category, we were overwhelmed by the sheer number of brands that existed. We knew from the start that e-commerce would be our primary mode of sale, at least initially. Typical shopping patterns for beauty had changed considerably – customers were buying brands without touching or trying the product, unlike what it used to be in conventional retail. The pressure on visuals became stronger.
The challenge: How to stand out in the sea of thumbnails of products online. The environment of e-tail was full of distractions, and so our task became harder.
We started with exploring the physical design language that we believed worked best for the product & brand, and represented the brand values in 3 dimensions.
In parallel, we were also coming up with names for the brand, that met the parameters of what we wanted it to stand for: Our three pillars – Make up that’s mindful, effective and that’s luxurious.
The design, structure, weight, fragrance, everything was deliberated with validation from our product, it’s benefits and our goals. The result was an attractive package that proved that natural makeup need not be boring, that makeup can be mindful and still glamorous, and while it’s long lasting, it doesn’t damage your skin. Our branding and design, just like the product was done keeping the customer’s unboxing experience in mind. The brand signature pattern is one that will evolve with every collection, and that fact is what truly is a symbol of a brand that is dynamic, inclusive, and one that has it’s ear firmly to the ground.
- Design Agency: Studio Glyph
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Building a Makeup Brand: Standing Out in an Overcrowded Market
- Brand / Project Name: Concept, Design, Branding and Packaging for Kiro Beauty
- External Design Credits: Client & Contributor: Svah Cosmetics Team
- Strategic Deliverables: Research / Insight, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Tone of Voice, Product Naming, Influencer gift idea and concept, Concept & Creative direction for shoot
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Photography, Brand Identity, Identity System, Branding, Brand Creation, Graphic Design, Brand Digital Design, Brand Experience
- Location: India
- Market Country: India
- Market Region: Asia
- Product Category: Health & Beauty
- Consumer Packaging Format: Box, Bullet, compact and liquid lip containers
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Plastic, Pulp Paper