Resume: Brownie Points is an online store created in 2017 by Rinny Perkins in Los Angeles. A black woman, Texan, writer and artist, she creates decorative products that empower and give voice to minorities, never shutting up on controversial issues such as sex and mental health. With the design of the late 70’s and early 80’s as the main source of inspiration and with the aim of professionalizing and standardizing the brand’s communication, in 2022 Rinny asked Monga for a new visual identity, mixing vintage style with a contemporary aesthetic as the main direction for the project.
What is the project: Visual identity, social media design and packaging concept created by the brazilian studio Monga for Brownie Points, an Los Angeles based online store that creates products that empower and give a voice to minorities.
Goal: Professionalize, standardize and give more consistency to brand communication, as well as giving more emphasis to products through a simple and objective design.
Creation: Both in its communication and in the creation of its products, Brownie Points has as its main inspiration the aesthetics of the late 70’s and early 80’s. To accompany the company’s growth, there was the need to create a new visual identity that was bold and daring, which would elevate the brand aesthetically, but at the same time maintain some characteristics of the previous ID. The brief’s main request was to mix vintage style with a more contemporary aesthetic. This balance was achieved through the choice and combination of different fonts, gradients, colors and textures. For the logo, Rabbit Hole Display, by typographer BOAFFF, was used, a current, experimental and strong-impact font. Monga also created graphic elements that refer to both old stamps and the current sticker language.
- Agency/Creative: Monga Design
- Article Title: Brownie Points Visual Identity by The Brazilian Studio Monga Design
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Identity
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: Brazil
- Agency/Creative City: Florianópolis
- Market Region: South America
- Project Deliverables: Art Direction, Brand Creation, Brand Design, Brand Identity, Brand Mark, Design, Graphic Design, Label Design, Lettering, Logo Design, Poster Design
- Industry: Retail
- Keywords: 70s, 80s, apparel, clothing, empowerment, fashion, groovy, retro, vintage, women, contemporary
Project management: Michel Refatti
Meetings: Marina Guaragna
Hand lettering: Charley Moraes
Design: Mateus Yuzo
Id guide and closing the files: Mariana Cordeiro
Client: Brownie Points