La Confesión – Is a premium Sotol from Coahuila, a distilled spirit made from the Desert Spoon (Sereque) through a process similar to the artisanal production of tequila and mezcal. However, unlike Agave, a Desert Spoon plant requires 15 years to mature so that it can yield only one bottle of Sotol.
Sotol´s origin dates back to Aztec civilization where it was believed to have magic and curative powers. It later became a symbol to northern Mexican states in times of the Mexican Revolution. In 1920 Sotol production was prohibited and has since become a mystical secret of these desert states as northerners kept producing Sotol despite prohibition and persecution.
La Confesión takes its name from this era and the secrecy it endured. Our branding solution is a nod to Sotol´s unique properties, mystical history, and heritage; mixing both pre-hispanic and colonial elements. The typefaces used in La Confesión reference colonial printed media and writings found in confidential documents, contracts and letters. The labels and paper texture complement this feel by incorporating foil finishes and small detailed cuts.
A unique bottle design expands on this same concept but also seeks to enhance the drinking experience by integrating a wide and narrow drinking recipient as a call-back to how Sotol was serves in ancient times. The bottle´s overall shape takes in inspiration from Apothecary glassware, with a modern and experience oriented twist. With a clean design, it still incorporates subtle details that reference Sotol´s manufacturing process for the pattern at the bottom alludes to the rhombus shapes found in the ¨Sereque¨ plants when cut.
- Agency/Creative: Shift
- Article Title: Bottle and Branding Design for La Confesión Premium Sotol
- Organisation/Entity: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Project Type: Packaging
- Agency/Creative Country: Mexico
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Brand Creation, Brand Experience, Brand Identity, Brand Naming, Brand Strategy, Brand World, Branding, Graphic Design, Identity System, Industrial Design, Packaging Design, Product Naming, Research
- Format: Bottle, Box, Case
- Substrate: Glass Bottle, Pulp Paper, Wood