Bluegrass Distillers is a small batch, Kentucky craft distillery residing in the heart of Bourbon country. The BD brand is a respectable, hard-working one that reflects the two most iconic aspects of Kentucky’s history – Bourbon and horse racing.
Bluegrass Distillers, originally established in 2012, approached the studio late 2020 to reimagine and redesign their extensive range of Kentucky Whiskeys. The studio was honored to be given the opportunity to refresh a distillery that clearly possessed a strong love for their craft and an unbridled ambition for excellence.
The overarching aim with the redesign was to provide a look that was strong, dignified, and broke away from whiskey’s traditional achromatic gray and brown color palettes. The design was inspired by an amalgamation of rich visual references which included of derby ephemera, horse tack, and even the structure of horse racing starting gates. The end result showcases an entire range visually separated by unexpected patterns inspired by jockey uniforms. It also features, as it was the core necessity of the rebrand, a reimagining of their jockey inspired logo so it was both more legible and iconic to the consumer.
The left side of the triple panel label speaks to the product within while the right speaks to the historic property the distillery resides on – Elkwood Farm.
The result is a range of powerful expressions, each rearing up demanding for their seals to be broken.
- Agency/Creative: Chad Michael Studio
- Article Title: Bluegrass Distillers Take the Lead With Fresh Rebrand by Chad Michael Studio
- Organisation/Entity: Agency
- Project Type: Packaging
- Project Status: Published
- Agency/Creative Country: United States
- Agency/Creative City: Dallas
- Market Region: North America
- Project Deliverables: Branding, Illustration, Packaging Design, Product Photography
- Format: Bottle
- Substrate: Glass Bottle
- Industry: Food/Beverage
- Keywords: packaging, bottle, whiskey, kentucky, package design, logo, mark, gold foil, label design, typography
Designer: Chad Michael
Client: Bluegrass Distillers