Beauty – Equality – Empowerment
Alaffia is a vibrant social enterprise committed to crafting fair trade, sustainable body, face, and hair care products that advance women’s futures and entire communities in Togo, West Africa. They hired Chen Design Associates to “bring back the soul” of Alaffia’s brand and boost shelf presence across multiple lines.
Our strategic interpretation of modern, tastemaker Africa, positions the Alaffia brand for growth. The new identity is contemporary and bold, yet refined and joyful. Our approach respects viewers’ intelligence and references African symbology more abstractly rather than borrowing from it directly. Balancing details of texture, illustration, typography and messaging, we streamlined Alaffia’s presence and provided unmistakable brand recognition in a saturated marketplace.
The sheer complexity and scale of Alaffia’s offerings was a challenge. We united 6 different collections — each with their distinct audiences, multiple lines and scents — cohesively under one parent brand. Pleasing altogether, each member of the family independently represents the brand and what it stands for, while expressing its own personality. Our robust system of color and custom iconography communicates on logical but also subconscious, emotional levels and honors Alaffia’s African ethos.
“The team at Chen Design was able to take a complex and multi-faceted brand proposition and bring it to life through a new visual identity that is not only beautiful, modern and relevant but clear, impactful and profound. The brand expression and the navigation across the product assortment are thoughtful, deliberate and fresh. The new packaging and rebrand communicate the rich story of the brand without compromise.”
Eden Palmer, VP of Brand Management & Category Strategy
- Design Agency: Chen Design Associates
- Organisation/Project Type: Agency, Published Commercial Design
- Article Title: Beauty – Equality – Empowerment
- Brand / Project Name: Alaffia Identity & Packaging Rebirth
- External Design Credits: Creative Director: Joshua C. Chen Art Director: Joshua C. Chen Designer: Cedrik Ferrer Illustrators: Cedrik Ferrer, Alan Johnson Brand Strategists: Kathryn Wong Hoffman, Irene Kim Shepherd Copywriters: Kathryn Wong Hoffman, Irene Kim Shepherd
- Production Credits: Alaffia
- Strategic Deliverables: Brand Strategy, Tone of Voice
- Design Deliverables: Packaging Design, Illustration, Brand Identity, Brand Refinement, Brand Guidelines, Messaging, Copywriting, Typography
- Location: United States
- Market Country: United States
- Market Region: North America
- Product Category: Packaging
- Consumer Packaging Format: Bottle, Jar, Tin, Tube, Wrap
- Consumer Substrate / Material: Pulp Paper